Geronimo is seeking a Director of Origination to work with its Commercial team in our utility-scale power sales activities. This individual will be responsible for leading, managing, and building relationships with Commercial and Industrial accounts, Investor Owned Utilities, COOP and other Public Power clients. In addition, they will build and submit customized proposals for renewable energy offerings, attend trade and regional conferences, and negotiate Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs). The ideal candidate will have extensive experience with PPA structures and negotiation for utility-scale renewable energy.
- Lead outreach and business development activities; identify new prospects and develop commercial strategies.
- Create new and build existing key relationships with utilities and off-take partners.
- Attend conferences and trade shows for networking opportunities and customer meetings, represent the company within energy working groups, professional organizations and associations, etc.
- Frequently update customer accounts in CRM platform, contribute to commercial team best practices/protocols to maximize CRM platform capabilities. Create and deliver compelling and customized presentations to potential and existing customers.
- Lead contract negotiations, including Power Purchase Agreements with large utility and corporate customers.
- Contribute towards the creation of new sales materials, bilateral proposals, and company responses to Requests for Proposals (RFPs).
- Lead the assessment of market trends and identification of new customers. Leverage knowledge of customers’ businesses and energy procurement activities to develop ideas for customized offerings and bilateral proposals.
- Actively contribute to price modeling and pricing strategies, applying competitive market intel and customer feedback.
- Lead commercial team on developing new market strategies by tracking industry trends, policy and regulatory changes, identifying of areas of growth and high-opportunity market segments, while understanding the dynamics of energy supply and demand.
- Leverage understanding of renewable energy development processes (site acquisition, permitting, interconnection, community outreach, etc.) to effectively communicate project status and routine updates to off-takers.
- Work with the finance team to perform financial analyses, support the creation of new analytical models.
- Lead internal transaction execution including due diligence, contract negotiation, post-closing oversight and customer management.
Experience & Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in finance, economics, renewable energy or similar discipline. MBA preferred.
- 6+ years related experience in renewable origination and business development roles, strong record of success closing energy transactions.
- Demonstrated experience with utility-scale energy procurement structures and transactions.
- Knowledge of energy markets, with emphasis on renewable energy. This includes familiarity with regulatory policies, rates and tariffs, electric transmission, pooled markets, natural gas power and renewable energy generation technologies including wind and solar.
- Experience leading commercial interaction with customers and a willingness to travel up to 40%, or as the job requires.
- Skills / Attributes:
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Loyal and committed to the organization
- Ability to lead and work on a team
- Ability to develop and enhance customer relationships
Geronimo Energy is a utility-scale wind and solar energy developer based in Edina, Minnesota. Geronimo has developed multiple operating wind farms and solar projects throughout the United States. Collectively, over 1,800 megawatts of Geronimo-developed renewable energy projects are either operational or currently under construction. Geronimo has a multi-gigawatt development pipeline of wind and solar projects in various stages of development throughout the United States.